Epic: noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon legendary figures, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style.
Well, OF COURSE, narration in an elevated style is a guarantee.
If you use the word "Epic" in the state of Colorado ... you best have something somewhat Other Worldly to back it up and I'm here to testify that this loop is AllThatAndABagOfChips.
We (CK and I) ogled over pictures posted by a friend in 2011. Maroon Bells 4 Pass Loop was GOING to happen ... not sure when or how ... but it became an item on the Bucket List. When the date was finally set in stone, we chatted about how important training would be. Well, the summer days rolled by and before I knew it, it was a few days before the hike and I had not even done A hike. I never dreamed that I would become a Weekend Warrior, but it's been a 2013 reality for me.
Route
Starting @ Maroon Lake TH
Day 1: Hike to just below West Maroon Pass
Day 2: W Maroon Pass + Frigid Air Pass
Day 3: Trail Rider Pass
Day 4: Buckskin Pass/Back to Maroon Lake TH
We rode the shuttle up to the Maroon Bells TH and were greeted with a swarm of tourists. Dozens of people hustling 200 yards to get the iconic photo seen below.
Maroon Bells (TH view)
I've seen this shot dozens of times (hanging on the walls in restaurants, art galleries, calendars etc.) and dreamed about the day that I could see it with my own green eyeballs ... it didn't disappoint.
We started our long journey in the afternoon on Thursday, Aug 8 - party of six, 5+ miles en route to no table, freeze-dried dinners, and zero cocktails. We arrived at Camp 1 around 5 PM after trudging slowly upward through intermittent rain. That glorious evening, Happy Hour consisted of "6 tired people" plopping 40 - 50 lb backpacks down on the high-altitude ground, setting up tiny tents for shelter and gaping at the spectacular valley seen below. It was powerfully intoxicating despite the absence of spirits.
Valley Below W Maroon Pass
West Maroon Pass Looming
After inhaling our surprising tasty dinners, we all crawled into our little hotels relatively early and it was the coldest night of the trip sleeping at 11,000+ feet. The next morning, I stumbled out of our 2 (wo)man tent into 40 degree air and my legs politely reminded me of our pilgrimage from the day before (legs: “ Thanks a lot Asshole”). West Maroon Pass harrumphed and stared down at us from far, far away (centered in the top of the photo above).
Deb and I started our (what would become) ritual of breaking down, packing up and boiling water ((for yummy hot Tazo Awake black teas and (OMG I'm so sorry Honey ... not enough) Mountain House Granola with Milk and Blueberries)). Speaking of breaking down ... Roomie (being from NC - elevation 424') painfully confessed on this chilly morning that she was physically in over her head ... lugging a heavy backpack with 21 miles of strenuous hiking to go - topping at approximately 12,000' at least once every day. So, sadly, the SuperLoop turned into an OutAndBack for her and CK. Therefore, there will be a 2014 REpeat 4 Peak ... I promise Christin.
Day 2 - W Maroon Pass + Frigid Air Pass
We started our ascent up W Maroon Pass on an absolutely gorgeous morning. It had been a while since I'd done any substantial climbing (on my feet) and I was quickly reminded of the mental/physical prowess necessary to get to the top. I couldn't stop thinking about the amount of energy that I KNEW this loop demanded ... and I KNEW I honestly hadn't possessed that kind of energy in several months. I was the weakest (un)legendary hiker in a group of very strong people and I was worried about getting myself to the finish line.
Coming down from Frigid Air Pass this magical valley came into view. I started mumbling incoherently about trout being in that water. I think everybody thought I was delusional because the water source started basically RIGHT THERE. However, I have natural instincts when it comes to fish. Just so happened, there were 35 brookies in the first decent sized hole. I know that I've confessed to being a lying fisherman ... but THAT number is not an exaggeration ... it's true.
Even though we were drop dead exhausted when we stopped at Camp 2 ... Deb and I hustled down to this little stream like little kids on Christmas morning. Deb was first in the water (as usual). So, Jess got to witness me selecting/tying flies for the second time this summer and she looked like she was watching paint dry (again). However, I happen to mention the concept of matching the hatch ... and she sarcastically commented on the massive army of mosquitoes buzzing around our heads at the moment. So, I pilfered through my magic blue box and selected a little mosquito-type bottom fly. Dang if a trout didn't hit that fly immediately ... and I was quickly up to my knees in ice-cold snow melt smiling from ear to ear with a fish on the other end of my line.
Now listen to this, when we woke up on our last morning in the woods and made our way to the shoreline … we witnessed the sun working a miracle on Snowmass Lake. Suddenly, it WAS the most beautiful lake that I’d ever seen in my life. We all drank in this precious moment in big thirsty gulps because it was truly SUPER special ... it was like catching Mother Nature singing Hallelujah.
We started our ascent up W Maroon Pass on an absolutely gorgeous morning. It had been a while since I'd done any substantial climbing (on my feet) and I was quickly reminded of the mental/physical prowess necessary to get to the top. I couldn't stop thinking about the amount of energy that I KNEW this loop demanded ... and I KNEW I honestly hadn't possessed that kind of energy in several months. I was the weakest (un)legendary hiker in a group of very strong people and I was worried about getting myself to the finish line.
Deb and Jess (W Maroon Pass Approach)
Just for the record, these ladies are Tough As Nails
View from the top of W Maroon Pass
One pass down!
Legendary Figure
Matt and Jess (Descending W Maroon Pass)
Dropping into Hasley Basin
The section of trail between WMP and Frigid Air Pass is my new FAVORITE hiking spot on Earth. The wildflowers were popping like crazy and endless beauty blossomed/rolled/spilled/sprouted for miles around us.
I wish I could insert a Scratch and Sniff
I don’t have a single photo for Frigid Air Pass because I was too focused on putting one foot in front of the other (however, feel free to fantasize about 40 minutes of straight up mental and physical torture). Just remember this about FAP … 12,465’ and 40% grade. Those are some important stats for people who dig Trip Reports.
In the Trees
Coming down from Frigid Air Pass this magical valley came into view. I started mumbling incoherently about trout being in that water. I think everybody thought I was delusional because the water source started basically RIGHT THERE. However, I have natural instincts when it comes to fish. Just so happened, there were 35 brookies in the first decent sized hole. I know that I've confessed to being a lying fisherman ... but THAT number is not an exaggeration ... it's true.
Kings Falls - Near Campsite #2
Even though we were drop dead exhausted when we stopped at Camp 2 ... Deb and I hustled down to this little stream like little kids on Christmas morning. Deb was first in the water (as usual). So, Jess got to witness me selecting/tying flies for the second time this summer and she looked like she was watching paint dry (again). However, I happen to mention the concept of matching the hatch ... and she sarcastically commented on the massive army of mosquitoes buzzing around our heads at the moment. So, I pilfered through my magic blue box and selected a little mosquito-type bottom fly. Dang if a trout didn't hit that fly immediately ... and I was quickly up to my knees in ice-cold snow melt smiling from ear to ear with a fish on the other end of my line.
Trout Slayer @ Work/N Fork Crystal River
Photo Courtesy (or possibly stolen from) Matt Simmons
Ribbon
Trail Rider Pass
More Legendary Figures
Along the trail, we heard from a passing hiker that Snowmass Lake was the most beautiful lake in the world. After dragging my backpack up Trail Rider Pass I didn't really give a rat's ass about seeing another high alpine lake. It sounds horrible, but I was DONE. The only feeling that I got when I saw Snowmass Lake from a far was ... damn - I just want a zipline/gondola/4-Wheeler/Sherpa/Dr. Pepper/slice of pizza right now AND I want to set this backpack on fire.
Snowmass Lake
However, when we finally reached our destination ... it was a pretty cool lake. We wandered the area looking for the perfect camp spot and found some prime real estate right by the water. Off came the backpacks and we are setting up tents immediately … moments later, Miss Goody Two Shoes points out that we were breaking a (well known) Wilderness Rule. Two Shoes, please don’t make us move. We went back and forth ... had a vote and the (exhausted) majority ruled "We stay". We were about one hour into enjoying our new waterfront home when Ranger Dick strolled up and politely asked to see our Back Country Permit. I started slinging that buttery Southern Accent left and right. Told him I didn’t fill that permit out … my friend Christin filled it out ... my other friend is from sea level ... she got real sick ... they had to turn around … I didn’t read it … I didn’t know. Smiling Ranger: I'm sorry but you guys have got to move. The Ranger was extremely nice and it wasn't his fault that exhaustion trumped common sense. We relocated to another lovely spot - nestled in the trees, legally 100’ away from the water and I did make the following statement out loud and will record it here ... FOREVER in blog history, “Jess, you were right ... you're always right.”
Snowmass Lake (evening)
Snowmass Lake (morning)
Now listen to this, when we woke up on our last morning in the woods and made our way to the shoreline … we witnessed the sun working a miracle on Snowmass Lake. Suddenly, it WAS the most beautiful lake that I’d ever seen in my life. We all drank in this precious moment in big thirsty gulps because it was truly SUPER special ... it was like catching Mother Nature singing Hallelujah.
Down by the water
Up(side down) on the mountain
Day 4: Buckskin Pass
The horses were pointed towards the barn. It was a long day on the trail, but relatively easy hiking and knowing it was our last day brought a sense of relief. We were all physically stretched because we aren't hardcore "hikers" and the idea of dropping those packs for the last time was enticing. We celebrated our last pass surrounded by day hikers. It was all down from Buckskin Pass ... it deserved a hand standing ovation.
The horses were pointed towards the barn. It was a long day on the trail, but relatively easy hiking and knowing it was our last day brought a sense of relief. We were all physically stretched because we aren't hardcore "hikers" and the idea of dropping those packs for the last time was enticing. We celebrated our last pass surrounded by day hikers. It was all down from Buckskin Pass ... it deserved a hand standing ovation.




















2 comments:
Great story Lou, I hope I get to join you on the next adventure over 4 passes.
Lori
Lori - I will remember that you've already committed ;)
Post a Comment