Sunday, February 10, 2008

Copper Mountain


Well... it was a perfect day of skiing at Copper Mountain. It was an absolutely beautiful today. Temperatures were in the upper 30's ... absolutely gorgeous. We skipped the greens... went straight to the blues. Thing about Copper is that the base of the mountain is a freaking zoo. Everybody and their mama rides those lifts in the morning... so the best way to avoid the craziness is to go straight to the blue/blacks. Thank goodness skiing is just like riding a bike :)

I love black diamonds. LOVE THEM. The more moguls the better. We hit some blacks before lunch but saved the harder stuff for later in the day. We took a break for food (which was VERY GOOD)... and of course I topped it off with a Snickers Bar... you need Snickers Legs for endurance skiing :) We did some new stuff... blazed with "Caution - Hidden Obstacles" signs... that always makes me just a little nervous. The hardest run of the day was in the Resolution Bowl. We swished up to the edge of the "no return spot"... that last moment when you can bail... Karen & I ... just standing there staring at it... like it might get easier any minute. Finally we made the decision to go ahead and do it. We were preparing to "drop in" and we couldn't decide if we were on the Highline trail or the Sawtooth trail (buying those last few minutes of time... waiting to see who will be stupid enough to go 1st) ... so I appropriately renamed it the "Shit Your Britches" trail and made the plunge. It was incredibly STEEP and bumpy. Note: I am some where between a decent skier and a fantastic skier (most people are - right?)... which means that I have the ability to cheat like hell on the hard stuff. I can traverse and side-slip any trail on the map. I WILL get to the bottom safely and in control. I WISH I could float through the moguls... but I can't do it yet. It's a beautiful thing to watch - a graceful skier with real skills... but for now I'm just a cheater. Pictures can't ever really capture the difficulty of a trail. So, you'll just have to trust me. It was scary as hell... but I cheated ... and made it down without falling :) [That's Karen in the corner of the picture above me on the Shit Your Britches trail :)]



Today was Syl's birthday. We went to a little restaurant in Minturn (town nestled between Vail and Avon). It was a neat place. You actually cook your own steak. We didn't start drinking our good bottle of wine until AFTER we had cooked... so it all worked out. Happy Birthday Syl.







Not sure what we are skiing tomorrow. Beaver Creek? Vail? Beaver Creek? Vail? Life is hard.

I'm sleepy again.

Going to Nappers Town, Colorado.

1 comment:

Joey Hansen said...

AWESOME. Enjoy it, my friend.