Monday, February 11, 2008

Beaver Creek



The Talons Challenge
Ski 13 Black Diamond and Double-Black Diamond runs in one day. The Talons Challenge is a showcase of the best steeps Beaver Creek has to offer, 23,000+ vertical feet await on Beaver Creek's legendary World Cup Birds of Prey downhill course, in Larkspur Bowl and on the flanks of Grouse Mountain.

Beaver Creek hosts The Talons Challenge one time each year... challenging skiers to ski ALL 13 runs. We made a decent attempt to hit all of them... but didn't even come close. We did ski several of them though. I'm going to be seeing moguls in my sleep tonight. I'm thinking seriously about going to ski school one day this week. After confessing to being a professional mogul cheater... it bothered me all day today. Side-slipping and traversing felt so wrong. I felt ALOT of pressure to actually make turns... and I KNOW that's just going to lead to me getting hurt before the week is over.



First Double-Black Diamond run of 2008... and by the way, it did snow today.


I really loved Beaver Creek. It's one of my favorite places to ski now.

Beaver Creek, Colorado
Elevation 11,440 ft
Total Acres 1805
148 trails

1. Vail, Colorado
2. Jackson Hole, Wyoming
3. Beaver Creek, Colorado
4. Heavenly, California
5. Taos, New Mexico
6. Copper, Colorado
7. Kirkwood, California
8. Keystone, Colorado
9. Breckenridge, Colorado
10. Snowshoe, West Virginia
11. Seven Springs, Pennsylvania
12. Sugar Mtn, North Carolina
13. Appalachian Mtn, North Carolina

Guess what?

I'm sleepy again...
and when I wake up it'll be time to ski Vail.

I love Vail.

3 comments:

mom of brothers said...

Glad you are having a fabulous time! We will be the "mama's" far from the double black diamonds at Taos on Friday- thinking of you and your moguls. Hope you master them before you have to pack up! They are expecting snow in NM on Friday- maybe you can just hop over and be that ski bum you always wanted to be. Happy Birthday Syl!

lcable said...

I wish :)

It's very intimidating when you see the first lift at Taos... be prepared :)

mom of brothers said...

OK- maybe I have learned that it pays to do this when you are not yet a teenager.... The first two minutes on the snow on day 1 and the boys were off on their first chair lift and down the mountain- all BEFORE their lesson started!!! Intimidation- maybe it's just for "grown-ups?". The boys skiied everyday from the time the slopes opened until they closed- and the last day they only stopped for a few sips of drink, not even a snickers bar....wish you were here. Thought of you as I eyed the double/triple black diamond mogul vertical. Maybe next year you can manage two ski vacations- one with the girls and one with us?