Some people are fortunate. By fortunate, I mean that they have a schedule that allows them to ride during the day... of course they have to first convince themselves that they are total slackers if they don't get off their bum and ride (that self-abuse could start as early as the night BEFORE the potential ride and last totally up to time to ride)... they bundle up in their warmest duds... and then they go out all alone ... just them and their bike (because most of the bikers are Slaving for the Man between the hours of 9am - 5pm).
I must say, we are fortunate in the Triangle that we do have some night rides scheduled throughout the winter months. Of course, then bikers feel FORCED to ride on those specific nights... because we CAN ride. So we all show up and then it's pretty obvious who's been embracing the "off season" (off the bike and on the couch). (DISCLAIMER: By WE... I really mean ME... hoping there are other people just like ME).
This is hard to believe... BUT my non-bike friends don't really understand the appeal of riding at night in the winter time. I try to explain it to them... by the end of the conversation I convince myself indeed it does sound like TMHTE (The Most Horrible Thing Ever)... but I still keep doing it.
Last night was the first time (as far as I know) that a LEGAL organized ride was led in Umstead. I caved into the "you need to take advantage of this golden opportunity to ride Umstead at night"... turns out it was alot like riding Umstead during the day ... except I had a light on my helmet, I froze my ass off and I couldn't tell who in the hell I was riding beside. Nice. It started out a mild 51 and turned to a chilly 38 before we were finished. I quickly realized how out of shape I am. I won the race from the top of the hill to the bottom of the hill... then got totally dropped on the first real climb. It was a sad night for The Ego. Confession ... towards the end of the ride I used the old "stop and take some pictures" excuse for a break (I didn't even mean to do it... we saw deer in a field at the top of Graveyard Hill... I was trying desperately to breathe ... and I seized the opportunity to catch my breath). By "deer in a field"... I mean two... normal brown... boring deer. It certainly wasn't a National Geographic moment and I stopped riding! Do I think I convinced anybody it was a Kodak moment... well here's the shot ... so I seriously doubt anybody thought it was a logistic break.
I don't hate my friends that can ride during the day.
I don't.
I really don't.
2 comments:
I love your blog and since endurance bikers don't have much time for cell phone chat while doing their thing- I will love keeping up with your adventures here.
I think maybe Ranger Rick Magazine instead of National Geographic, of course your picture would have to come with the story!
I should probably get a Bluetooth :)
Post a Comment