Monday, April 7, 2014

The In-between

Welcome to The In-between.

In-between: a (sad) state or (bad) position that is in the middle of two other things (skiing and biking).

I want a new calendar please: Jan, Feb, Mar, June, July, Aug, Sept, and Oct.

HOWEVER, (unfortunately), it IS springtime in Colorado once again (The In-between) ... so here's to skied lines, missed pines and good times this season.

Fall Day/Powder Day/Opening Day/Vail/CK

This season I became the proud new mama of twin fatties: welcome DPS Yvette 112RP Carbon PURE3 skis to the family (thanks to Deb).  I needed/wanted/coveted an all mountain ski in my quiver and I found it - this ski can surf the pow, chop the crud, turn on a dime, AND lay down tracks on hard pack.  Finding a decent powder ski is easy.  Finding a decent carving ski is easy.  Finding a powder ski that can carve decently - NOT easy.  The carving ability of these skis is fierce.  The Yvettes are lighter and more responsive than anything I've ever had on my feet.  The capability of quick direction change in tight-tight terrain on these skis is exquisite.  Bonus feature of the Yvettes ... stability and confidence flying down wide/swooping/rolling groomers ... making gInormous high-speed, Super-G turns triggered multiple giggle attacks for me on the slopes this season.

Conversation Starter


My passion for skiing explodes each and every winter.  I always think it can never get any better ... and then it gets exponentially better.  This was (by far) my best year on skis.  Luckily, I made it to the mountain for the biggest storms of the season.


Chasing the Unicorn/Vail/1.31.14/21"

MJ/12.29.13

CK/Vail/Skree/3.1.14

Just Another Great Powder Day


Photo Credit - CK

Secret Stash

Last Big Day

Trail Map/Non-Tourist

Local Ski Shop

"Some people can never learn to ski powder snow without exerting tremendous effort and strength because they allow their rational, left-brain hemisphere to control the entire situation." - Delores LaChapelle


It's not coincidental that my birthday is mid-January... that alone is the best gift ever.

1.18.14

Deb/Poppyfields/1.18.14

Cords and Boards/1.18.14

Loupalooza 2014

My Peeps/Extended Birthday/WP


No Friends on a Powder Day - I think the jury is still out on that one.












So, for now, I'm temporarily In-between turns and switchbacks.










The true skier does not follow where others lead.  He is not confined to a piste.  He is an artist who creates a pattern of lovely lines from virgin and uncorrupted snow.  What marble is to the sculptor, so are the latent harmonies of ridge and hollow, powder, and sun-softened crust to the true skier.  By a wise dispensation of providence, the snow, whose beauty has been defaced and destroyed by the multitude of piste addicts, does not record the passage of the "lifted skier."  It is only soft snow that records the movements of individual skiers, and it is only in soft snow that the real artist can express himself."  - Sir Arnold Lunn





                                                                                                                                                                          


No comments: