Sunday, April 15, 2012

Stepping Out

Today is the official closing day for the 2011-2012 ski season at Vail.  The unofficial closing day was 3/3/12.  Wow.  March and April are typically very snowy here in Colorado.  I waited for the skies to open and start puking snow ... but it never came.  I got in 30 days of skiing this year.  Not bad for a piss-poor snow year.

Last year I had an AHA moment.  It was when I stopped skiing under powder and started skiing on top of the powder.  Big difference.  You don't know until you know ... and then ... you KNOW.  It's special.  Unfortunately, I can count this year's powder days on one hand.  Meh.

This year was filled with special moments.  You can't love to ski as much as I do and not find those moments.  I have fallen in love with sidecountry skiing.  Sidecountry skiing is utilizing the ski resorts lift to access "back country" terrain.  Sort of ;)  It's an amazing experience.  I love the adventurous feel of the woods surrounding me.  It seems much safer than dodging the hordes on the popular slopes inside the ropes.  I realize that there are dangers beyond the gate.  I feel guilty taking people down the rabbit hole without proper training.  However, how much better would it be to strap a beacon to somebody that is clueless?  My grandiose plan was to start some avalanche training this winter.  I left Happy Hour early one evening to attend a class in Boulder at REI ... dude never showed.  Retrospectively, I should have had another drink.

Oh well.  Next year ... I will start my back country training.  I have to.  The more I ski ... the more I hate traditional trails on the mountain.  Next year ...







Cheers to a SAFE and happy 2011/2012 ski season.



No comments: