Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pikes Peak or Bust

We pulled up to the TH and this guy was in the parking lot ...


I have to admit I had some reservations about hiking into camp ... at night ... in Cat Country.  But, it was Mike's last 14er and we really wanted to be apart of the celebration.  So, I strapped my mountain bike light to my shoulder, stuffed my pockets with Meow Mix and Deb & I bravely started hiking at 5:45 PM.  That's one hour and 15 minutes of daylight ... three hours to camp ... a couple of hours of night hiking.

Actually, the hike into camp was wonderful.  The temperature was perfect and the skyline was magnificent.  The spot light on the trail reminded me of night rides in NC and it warmed my heart.  

Barr Camp was very cool.  Mike reserved the cabin for us - at $70 a night it's a real steal.  I was pumped to test out my spanking brand new Mammut Helium down bag.  It kept me toasty and I slept like a baby.  We had a pancake breakfast the next morning and hit the trail at a benevolent 9:00 AM - which is unheard of on a 14er summit day.  The trail is Class 1; so, there's no opportunity for scrambling/climbing/dangers.  If you want a casual, fun, unique 14er experience - this is it!

The summit was crawling with tourists because there is a paved road to the summit.  That's probably why this is the most visited mountain in North America.  I've certainly never had to get in line for a "summit shot" before.  We had a small glass of champagne and toasted Mike's accomplishment.  He didn't cry, but I almost did.  Not necessarily because it was his last 14er.  I just understand the effort/pain/sweat/fear involved in accomplishing climbing all of the Colorado Fourteeners ... and it is humbling.

SO, I have to admit that the first picture was a hoax ... we didn't see that man with the mountain lion at the trail head.  HOWEVER, the lady driving the train did tell us that one time she saw a mountain lion cross the track in the hiker campsite area ... his tail stretched from one rail to the other ... that's a 4'8" tail. 


PIKES PEAK - AMERICA'S MOUNTAIN

The most visited mountain in North America and the second most visited mountain in the world behind Japan's Mount Fuji, Pikes Peak forms a stunning backdrop for Colorado Springs and the Garden of the Gods. At an altitude of 14,110 feet above sea level, Pikes Peak is the 31st highest peak out of 54 Colorado peaks. It is the farthest east of the big peaks in the Rocky Mountain chain, which contributed to its early fame among explorers, pioneers and immigrants and made it the symbol of the 1859 Gold Rush to Colorado with the slogan, "Pikes Peak or Bust".


Difficulty: Class 1
Summit Elevation: 7,400 feet 
Elevation Gain: 5625` 
Length:  12.9 miles 
Trailhead: Manitou Springs TH
Friday
5:45 PM Start 
8:45 PM Barr Camp (10,200')

Saturday 
9:00 AM Start 
1:PM Summit

Date Ascended: 10/15/10 
Total: 7 hours 
Temperature: 30's/40's/50's/60's/70's

Bumper Sticker in the parking lot ... LOL :)



Summit Time = 7 hours for us


Sun down.

Moon set.

Colorado Springs area.

Sky line.





Home sweet home.



Mike's Party Group


Lean-to ... no thank you.

Train, train, train.

My blisters  ;(

A-Frame (another option for campers)

Dr. Bruce

What is she saying to me??????

Mike "manning up"



Mike


16?  Felt like 116.

"There's the top :)"

#58

#11

Summit Shot

The high road ...

The descent ...

All smiles ...



2 comments:

Joey Hansen said...

I didn't believe that picture for one minute! Are you officially on a quest to do all the fourteeners? I don't know if I've read that or not, but it would certainly seem to be the case. I wish we knew you when we lived in Boulder, because I'm pretty sure we would have done SO much more than we did! You motivate me, girl! Miss you tons and love you.

lcable said...

:) Silly cat.

WELL, I think I am on a quest to do all of the 14ers. I haven't done anything harder than Class 3 though ... and some peaks have only Class 4 options. So, we'll see. I'm a chicken when it comes to exposure.

We certainly would have done ALL KINDS of things had we met in Boulder. Ahhhhhhh ... tell me again ... why did y'all leave Colorado? ;)

Miss you/love you too!