Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Longs Peak

Posted October 4th 2009
Colorado to do list:
Summit Longs Peak
Summit Mount of the Holy Cross
Denver Broncos game
Hut trip
Colorado's Triple Bypass
Iron Horse Bicycle Classic
Concert at Red Rocks



I've stared/admired/feared/adored this peak every day for almost 2 years.  I heard stories about the physical torture.  I (of course) read ALL about the route.  I KNEW what it would feel like.  I was born and raised at sea level.  My body was upset about being above 10,000' for 10+ hours.  More like ... my body HATED me for taking it up there.  I usually suffer from altitude sickness, but normally I'm only above tree line for a couple of hours.  I thought for sure I would toss my cookies (actually my "Jeremy's Granola Bars") on the summit.  I was pretty miserable.  It was the most difficult 14er that either one of us has climbed so far.  I'm pretty sure the Oskar Blues waitress probably thought we were on drugs when we collapsed into our chairs for dinner at 5:00 PM.  The more time that passes ... the more fun I THINK I had.  By this time next year, you might hear me say, "Longs Peak?  I loved Longs Peak!"  But, don't ask me anytime soon ;)


Let's see ... I'm thinking "Concert at Red Rocks" or "Denver Broncos Game" is sounding like a good challenge.

Difficulty: Class 3 
Summit Elevation: 14,255 feet 
Elevation Gain: 5100` 
Round-trip Length: 14 miles 
Trailhead: Longs Peak TH 

2:00 AM Awake 
4:00 AM Start Hiking 
11:00 AM Summit Longs Peak 
4:00 PM Back at Trailhead 

Date Ascended: 8/14/10 
Roundtrip: 12 hours 
Temperature: 30's/40's/50's/60's



Been hiking for a couple of hours ...


Good Morning



I love Colorado


Diamonds are Forever



The Keyhole



The Homestretch



14er #9



The Boulder Field (Evil)



Campers in the Boulder Field



Wow



Deb + Sweet Waterfall


Longs Peak ... Appropriately Named



1 comment:

Jeremy said...

What a wonderful accomplishment!
I am sitting here laid up from hernia surgery and am finally able to catch up on my favorite blogs. Love and miss ya