Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mt. Belford + Mt. Oxford = Up + Down + Up + Down + Up + Down


Precaution #1
Start early! Be off summits by noon and back in the valley by early afternoon.


I KNOW this rule and normally adhere strictly. However, this day was perfect and we took advantage of it. We took lots of pictures (and breaks) and spent quality time on the summits. This was by far the most elevation gain that I've ever done and I'm still feeling it a few days later.

Mt. Belford + Mt. Oxford = Up + Down + Up + Down + Up + Down
Basic 14er Math 101

The only part that was relatively hard about this hike was the "Mt. Belford + Mt. Oxford = Up + Down + Up + Down + Up + Down" part. The section back to Belford after Oxford was steep and I was certainly starting to get tired. I wasn't grumbling to myself though and I still managed to enjoy the section back to the top. Once on the saddle between the mountains though, the wind was gusting around 40 mph and I felt like I was drowning in air. It was truly breath taking and the weirdest sensation.

Difficulty: Class 2
Summit Elevation: 14,197 feet (Mt. Belford)

Summit Elevation: 14,153 feet (Mt. Oxford)
Trailhead Elevation: 10,850 feet
Elevation Gain: 5,900 feet
Round-trip Length: 11 miles
Trailhead: Missouri Gulch Trailhead

5:30 AM Awake
6:40 AM Start Hiking
11:30 AM Summit Mt. Belford
12:00 PM Start Hiking
1:30 PM Summit Mt. Oxford
3:00 PM Back on Belfort
3:30 Start Descending
6:30 PM Back at Trailhead

Date Ascended: 6/19/10
Roundtrip: 12 hours
Temperature: 38 start temp ... 50's at the top + 40 mph wind gusts .... 60's at the bottom


Secret Campsite

Mt. Belford

Mt. Oxford

Missouri Gulch Trailhead

Shadow

Mt. Belford/Mt. Oxford



Sweet little stream crossing

Beautiful morning




Early in the day ... sweating already

Somewhere below tree line

We didn't build a campfire

Getting above tree line

Trail Guide
Mt. Belford Summit
Happy Girls
Tanya DeBardelaben
14er #4
Heading over to Mt. Oxford
Mt. Oxford Summit View


Praise the Lord (and 14er #5)

The hard UP back to Mt. Belford







Accidental Glisade

Tanya is a professional photographer (seriously).


- Tanya DeBardelaben


Moonrise

Little Stream

Tanya

I am a professional model (NOT seriously :).



Homestretch



- Tanya DeBardelaben

"Done, done AND DONE."


"OMG, trailhead sign - I LOVE YOU!"




2 comments:

Joey Hansen said...

So beautiful and wonderful... I love that you're taking full advantage of all that is available to you in Colorado! And I'm always a wee bit jealous.....

lcable said...

You are always a wee bit invited :)

I would love to have some photos of the Hansen Family doing something cool in Colorado.