Sunday, August 24, 2008

Where The Wild Things Are

We had our first brush last night with Colorado wildlife at the YMCA...

I was all excited about the fact that our car was parked directly in front of the bedroom window... JUST in case somebody tried to steal my bikes... I'd be able to hear them in the middle of the night. WELL... we went to sleep around 11:00PM... and then at 3:30AM... WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! Stephanie went into "OH MY GOD .... LOU WAKE UP!!!! DID YOU HEAR THAT??!!!" mode. She looks out the window and says... "It's a BEAR! It's a fat a$$ m#$%er f%#@ing BLACK BEAR". OkAY... you're right ... she didn't actually SAY that... but if she used cuss words... THAT is EXACTLY what she would have said. I could tell by the panic in her voice that she was thinking those things :) Well, it takes a lot to get my heart racing... but I'll tell you when I looked out the window and saw a 400 lb black bear stretched out directly in front my Explorer snacking on a bag of trash... I got a little pumped. We watched him enjoy his trash snack for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, we are discussing what his NEXT move would be. I voted for... Bear finishes trash and comes on up on our cabin deck looking for more goodies. Stephanie voted for ... Bear finishes snack and moves onto the closest neighboring trash snacks. Of course, I'm always right :) Bear finished his dinner... took a sniff at my hood (I said... "Oh s@#t! He's going to pounce on my f#$%$ng car!"... I'm not sure if I DID say that... but I probably did and I know I at least THOUGHT it VERY loudly in my head)... then starts to come up onto the deck! Now, that kinda scared me a bit. We started beating the window like crazy. We startled him and he ran about 10 feet from the house... stopped turned around and looked at us like "What are you really going to do?"... started coming right back toward the cabin. Now, I was actually scared. Bears are supposed to run away when you make noise. That's what every book about Bears and Safety says. We beat the window double-extra hard and he finally took off. WHEW :) Stephanie assigned herself to Bear Watch for at least an hour. She was kinda calming down until some people right outside our cabin started screaming at the bear. She cracked the window to hear the people a little bit better... and that's when we realized it was a pack of coyotes :) Yep. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep. Guess I need to get myself some bear spray, a bear bell and a small pistol for mountain biking.

Bear Trash Snack

We went into Rocky Mountain National Park today :) It was beautiful. Pictures speak louder than words :)







Rocky Mountain National Park/Alpine Visitor Center

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a bear story....is a bear story anything like a fish story...:)

Your pictures are beautiful....they almost look like you scanned in a post card.

I was reading the story to Dina and she said,"No way Stephanie said all those cuss words...:) ) Just as I read that she really did not say all those words....too funny!

Joey Hansen said...

So how did you know the bear was exactly 400 lbs? :-)

I think the bear was just simply saying "Welcome to Colorado and to the Great Outdoors!"

Hope your first day of work went well. I look forward to hearing about it.

lcable said...

JOey... I knew you would question my poundage estimate. 400 lbs. Yes. 400 lbs :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Lou!

So glad to hear you didn't become the bear's next snack!

I hope everything is going good with work! Which, you're a pretty smart girl and I'm sure it won't take long for you to feel right at home.

Beautiful photos! I definitely can't wait to come and see you!!!

I love you very much and have fun!!!

Tim said...

Hi LouAnn, this story would have been WAY better to hear you tell it in person!!

Jeremy said...

Pictures of many mountains-Check
Pictures of bull elk-Check
Pictures of baby and momma elk-Check
Pictures of Lou in front of mountains-check
Pictures of Stephanie in front of mountains-Check
Pictures of bear that was eating garbage and posing/posturing outside said cabin for undisclosed amount of time-Noncheck? Hmmmmmm:)
Hope that your first week at work goes well. And be sure to look out for those big porcupi....er I mean bears:)

Anonymous said...

That place you're in looks beautiful!! We'll be there! But... I need to know...What time do you have to be at work every morning??? 10am??